The Royal is one of Canada’s foremost mental health care and academic health science centres. Our mandate is simple: to get more people living with mental illness into recovery faster. The Royal combines the delivery of specialized mental health care, advocacy, research and education to transform the lives of people with complex and treatment resistant mental illness. The Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health raises funds that support The Royal’s work while placing a sharp focus on awareness building through the You Know Who I Am campaign.
Mental health care transformed through partnerships, innovation and discovery.
Delivering excellence in specialized mental health care, advocacy,
research and education.
We are guided by innovation and a passionate commitment to collaboration, honesty, integrity and respect.
Read our Client Statement of Values.
The Royal Ottawa Health Care Group is made up of:
- The Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre – 284-bed state-of-the-art mental health facility located in Ottawa;
- The Brockville Mental Health Centre – a specialized 183-bed mental health facility located in Brockville;
- The University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research – home of leading-edge multidisciplinary research programs that investigate the biological and psychological factors contributing to mental illness and innovative ways to treat mental illness;
- The Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health – the fundraising organization that supports mental health research, capital projects and equipment purchases on behalf of the Royal Ottawa Health Care Group.
Clinicians at The Royal work with their partners throughout the health-care system to ensure that patients have timely access to specialized mental health services and that treatment is tailored to individual patient needs.
Each program provides services that may include inpatient, outpatient, partial hospitalization, day hospital, assertive community treatment, outreach and mental health rehabilitation.
Serving communities across Eastern Ontario, the 400,000 square-foot Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre features a state-of-the-art psychiatric teaching hospital with 284 inpatient beds and a tower housing the University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research.
The Royal has a new role as a specialized mental health facility for residents of communities across Eastern Ontario. This means the programs will be aimed specifically at treating people with complex and serious mental illnesses which are often resistant to treatment. Patients will be referred from psychiatric programs in hospitals throughout the region when specialized care is appropriate.
The redevelopment of the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre was part of a province-wide effort to bring mental health care out of the shadows, and provide a leading-edge hospital which combines wireless information technology with a healing, therapeutic environment filled with natural light, extensive patient courtyards and a Winter Garden.
Researchers and investigators at the University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research are world pioneers in the genetics of mental illness and are internationally recognized for their work and role in;
- the development of new medications for mental illness and deviant behaviour;
- the understanding of brain function in psychiatric disorders;
- the psycho-biology of anxiety;
- the treatment of suicide and depression.
For more information about treatment options at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre or the Brockville Mental Health Centre, please visit the Mental Health at The Royal section on our website.
For more information about University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research, including recent research trials and the benefits of participating in studies, please visit the Research at The Royal section of our website.
To learn more about how to support our work, please visit Support our Work at The Royal.