Quick & Delicious Vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ lime or lemon
- 1-2 tablespoon curry paste (your favourite or Patak’s curry paste would work great as well)
- 1 can coconut milk (1 can = 1.5 cups)
- 1 can chickpeas
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, diced, (or a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes)
- Optional: ½ cup sugar snap peas (or any other green vegetable)
- Optional: chopped cilantro or chopped green onion or chives as garnish
- Chop the onions, garlic, ginger, and juice the lime or lemon.
- Put the oil and onions into a large pan and cook on a low-medium heat until the onions start to soften and turn clear, about five minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Boil 2 cups of water for rice
- Add 1 tbsp. curry and the coconut milk, stirring until the curry is dissolved. Taste test! If you’d like your curry a little stronger then add another tablespoon (or to taste).
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to the pan (and chopped green veg if you’re using it) and cook on medium heat for around five minutes, bringing the curry to a gentle boil.
- Add 1 cup of rice to boiling water and let simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, lime or lemon juice and gently simmer the curry for another two minutes.
- Serve the curry with rice or with naan bread. Garnish with optional cilantro, green onion, or chives.