Skip to main content
Habits for a good night's sleep
- Get up at the same time each morning. Even if you fall asleep very late, you should still get up at the same time each morning.
- Go to bed only when you feel tired.
- Develop relaxing pre-sleep rituals such as reading, taking a bath, brushing your teeth, letting the cat out, etc.
- Use the bed only for sleep and sexual activity.
- To avoid “Sunday night insomnia, Monday morning blues,” don’t stay up late on weekends and then sleep in.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol within six hours of bedtime.
- Don’t smoke at bedtime.
- Hunger may disturb sleep, so you might try a light snack before bed.
- Exercise regularly. Get vigorous exercise such as jogging either in the morning or afternoon. Get mild exercise, such as walking, two to three hours before bedtime.